Located at the north end of the inpatient hallway, the Special Care Unit provides a quiet healing environment for higher acuity patients. Registered nurses with advanced levels of training provide care for patients who have a variety of illnesses including chest pain, heart failure, diabetic emergencies and pneumonia.
The Special Care Unit provides heart and vital sign monitoring using a state-of-the-art system that can be viewed hospitalwide to allow patients whose conditions have improved increased levels of activity. We also offer short-term ventilator management under the direction of the Respiratory Therapy Department.
The Special Care Unit houses four large, private patient rooms offering windows facing a spectacular mountain view. As a patient at North Valley Hospital, we welcome your family and friends into your temporary home 24 hours a day, seven days a week to bring you the support and joy you need to heal quickly.
Planetree – Making Your Stay as Enjoyable as Possible
- Warm, comfortable surroundings with spacious rooms, warm colors, original artwork and a quiet carpeted hallway
- Daybed in each patient room that can be used as an oversized window seat during the day and converted in the evening for a loved one to spend the night
- Desk with cable television and DVD player
- Wireless internet
- Family refreshment stations with hot and cold beverages and snacks. The stations have a refrigerator and microwave if you would like to bring your own refreshments.
- Massage therapy
- Fresh-baked cookies made right in the patient hallway, providing a warm aroma and a delicious treat (if diet allows)
- Acupuncture available with a hospitalist’s or physician’s referral
- Health resources library located in main corridor of the hospital
- Dog visitation therapy by certified visitation dogs and their handlers to give joy and decrease stress
- Patient pet visitation – we welcome your own dog to visit during your stay for your comfort and enjoyment. Pets must be well behaved and leashed or in a carrier. Ask your nurse for more information.
- Live harp music
- Delicious and nutritious food – you’ll be delighted by the range and quality of our offerings. It’s not your typical hospital food! Cuisine-on-Call is also available for patients and guests on weekends and after hours.
Special Care Unit