What is Cardiac Rehabilitation
Cardiac rehabilitation is an individualized and personalized treatment plan following a heart attack, angina, heart surgery or other heart disease. It includes evaluation and instruction on physical activity, nutrition and a healthy lifestyle.
Benefits of Cardiac Rehabilitation
The benefits of cardiac rehabilitation are:
- Control your heart disease symptoms such as chest pain or shortness of breath.
- Stop or reverse damage to the blood vessels in your heart.
- Lessen the physical and emotional effects of heart disease.
- Improve your stamina and strength, getting you back to your usual activities.
- Live longer and lessen your chances for another heart attack.
Recent scientific studies have shown that people who complete a cardiac rehabilitation program can increase their life expectancy by up to five years (American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation, 2015).