Arriving for Your Inpatient Visit
Important information and documents you must bring:
You may want to bring:
- Medical insurance cards
- Photo ID
- Name and address of employer
- Name, address and telephone number of closest family member
- List of all medications you are currently taking
- Advance directive (living will) and durable power of attorney
For children, you may want to bring:
- Nightwear, robe, rubber-soled slippers (hospital gowns and slippers are available)
- Personal toiletries (makeup, razor, toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, dentures, etc.)
- Reading materials and your address book
- Phone calling card or cell phone
- Laptop, headphones, CDs, DVDs
- Comfortable nightclothes (child-size gowns are available)
- A few special toys
- Coloring books, crayons, books, etc.
Preparing for Your Inpatient Surgery
The Night Before Surgery
Your oral intake is very important for your surgery. If these instructions are not followed, your surgery may be cancelled.
The Day of Surgery
- Do not smoke, chew tobacco or have alcohol for 24 hours prior to surgery.
- Have nothing to eat after midnight (including gum and candy).
- You may have clear liquids four hours prior to your arrival time at the hospital, such as black coffee, tea, water or apple juice (no milk, no juices with pulp).
- Shower the night before and the morning of surgery using an antibacterial soap.
- Bring a responsible person to drive you home and stay with you for 24 hours after discharge.
- Wear loose-fitting clothes.
- Before coming to the hospital, please remove all jewelry, including body piercings.
- If you wear contacts, remove them and bring your eyeglasses.
- Please leave valuables at home or with a loved one.
- Bring copies of advanced directives and/or living wills if copies are not already on file with North Valley Hospital.
- All female patients who have begun menses and have not been menopausal for one year or had a tubal ligation or hysterectomy will have a urine pregnancy test performed the day of surgery.
- If you use an inhaler or CPAP machine, please bring these with you the day of surgery.
Please understand that surgery times are approximate and may vary based on the surgical schedule. To verify the time you are scheduled to be at the hospital for your surgery, please call Surgical Services between the hours of 12 p.m. and 3 p.m.
Surgical Services: (406) 863-3574
Switchboard: (406) 863-3500
Pre-Admissions: (406) 863-3687
A Note About Patient Billing and Deposits
North Valley Hospital accepts a wide variety of health insurance plans including Medicare, Medicaid, Champus/Tricare and private insurance providers. Please note the following:
- After we check your insurance status, you may be asked for a deposit at time of service.
- You may receive multiple statements and bills for your services. Some services are billed separately from hospital charges including those from the radiologist, pathologist and other specialists.
If you have questions about insurance, billing and deposits, please contact Patient Financial Services at (406) 863-3567
or (406) 863-3727