At Kalispell Regional Medical Center, we know that pregnancy, childbirth and parenting are some of the most intense, exciting and personal experiences of your lifetime. Our Birthing Center staff is dedicated to making every step of the birth process a memorable and positive one for you and your family.
About the Birthing Center
Because bringing a new life into the world is so special, you should have confidence in the hospital and staff who provide care when your baby is born. At KRMC we are determined to give you and your baby comfort and security as you begin your new life together. Our maternity program caters not only to you but to your family as well. We work to ensure that you have the comforts of home and the security knowing you and your baby will have every health care advantage.
At the Birthing Center at KRMC, we offer many amenities to help make your birthing experience unforgettable:
- Comfortable, spacious maternity suites.
- Jacuzzi tubs in every birthing room for relaxation during labor.
- A family-centered approach, welcoming family members to share in the birth process.
- A sophisticated infant security system.
- A relaxing environment for walking, which is encouraged to help promote labor, relieve pain and provide distraction.
- Centralized fetal monitoring so staff and physicians can monitor your baby even when they are not in the room.
- Telemetry monitoring to provide monitoring if necessary while walking or in the Jacuzzi tub.
- Queen size adjustable Tempur-Pedic postpartum beds.
- A spacious waiting room and play room providing a restful environment for families.
- A supportive environment welcoming doulas and midwives.
- Medical professionals who support women who wish to have a vaginal birth after cesarean.
- Professional photography by Dianne Dotter Photography for all newborn babies born at KRMC. See our custom photography page for more information.
- Wireless internet access.
- Complimentary celebration meal for you and your partner before discharge.
For the safety of moms and babies, which is a top priority at KRMC, the Birthing Center and Neonatal Intensive Care Unit is a controlled access facility. We have several security measures in place, including a locked unit and a sophisticated infant monitoring system.
Pain Management & Anesthesia
During your pregnancy you'll be faced with many decisions, including labor and birth options. Pain management options largely depend on your preferences and how your labor is progressing. No two women have the same tolerance for pain, and no two labors are exactly alike. Your anesthesiologist will discuss your anesthesia options with you and provide you with the safest, most effective pain reduction option available for your unique individualized labor situation.
- Non-pharmacological pain management (one-to-one nursing support, breathing, birthing ball, relaxation, Jacuzzi, walking, etc).
- Nitrous oxide.
- IV medication.
- Intrathecal (one-time injection given in the back by an anesthesiologist).
A staff anesthesiologist is designated to the Birthing Center at all times.
Whether a cesarean birth is planned or unexpected, the Birthing Center's dedicated surgical suite provides the latest technology together with a staff of specially trained experts. As part of our family-centered approach to childbirth, fathers or coaches may accompany the mother into surgery with the physician's approval.