What is outpatient therapeutic respiratory care?
The outpatient therapeutic respiratory care program is a 10-week course that meets twice weekly. It is designed to provide comprehensive care to individuals with pulmonary disease, including conditions such as emphysema or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Once enrolled in the program, patients work with a team of pulmonary rehabilitation specialists who will tailor the program to meet their specific needs.
Who needs outpatient therapeutic respiratory care?
The program is designed for patients with lung diseases such as emphysema, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), asthma, chronic bronchitis, fibrosis and other pulmonary conditions who:
- Have shortness of breath that compromises their lifestyle
- Want to learn more about their disease and ways to manage it
- Want to learn ways to improve their breathing
- Want to attain the highest level of independent function
What are the benefits of outpatient therapeutic respiratory care?
The program has been able to help many individuals:
- Control and alleviate symptoms
- Improve energy and the ability to perform daily activities
- Increase exercise tolerance
- Decrease anxiety and depression commonly associated with pulmonary disease
- Maximize lung function and manage secretions
- Improve lifestyle by losing weight and quitting smoking
- Feel better about themselves
What services does outpatient therapeutic respiratory care offer?
- Breathing retraining
- Lifestyle education
- Exercise training
- Panic and stress management
- Activities of daily living management
How do I enroll?
You will need a referral from your primary care provider or specialist. Most insurance plans cover outpatient therapeutic respiratory care expenses for eight to 12 weeks. In order to avoid unexpected medical expenses, it is always best to contact your insurance company prior to treatment to confirm coverage.
For more information, call an outpatient therapeutic respiratory care professional at (406) 751-4514