Heart disease is the number one cause of death in our state. With medical advances and lifestyle changes, cardiac patients can lead normal, full lives. The cardiac rehabilitation program at Kalispell Regional Medical Center is here to help these individuals improve health and adopt a healthy lifestyle.
What is cardiac rehabilitation?
Promoting wellness through lifestyle changes, the cardiac rehabilitation program consists of individualized treatment plans provided in a safe medical environment. The purpose of the program is to provide clinically supervised exercise and education for those with documented heart disease or multiple risk factors for heart disease.
Who is a candidate for cardiac rehabilitation?
- Have been diagnosed with heart disease (including heart attack, stable angina, congestive heart failure, valve surgery or other heart problems)
- Are recovering from cardiac surgery or have had a recent interventional procedure (stent or angioplasty)
- Are at increased risk for heart disease due to high blood pressure, stress, obesity, high cholesterol or a family history of cardiovascular disease
What are the benefits of cardiac rehabilitation?
- Better health
- Reduced risk of future heart problems and hospitalization
- Improved strength and fitness to resume normal activities
- Knowledge of safe exercise methods
- Learning heart-healthy food choices and meal planning
- Stress reduction
- Increased confidence
- Fellowship with others who have had cardiac events
- Support and motivation from caring staff
What services does cardiac rehabilitation offer?
- Individualized treatment plans
- Clinically supervised exercise with heart monitoring
- Exercise classes monitored by registered nurses and exercise physiologists three times a week
- Weekly heart health classes
- Early outpatient recovery program
- Ongoing education and fitness program
How do I enroll?
You will need a referral from your primary care provider or specialist. Most insurance plans cover rehabilitation expenses for eight to 12 weeks. In order to avoid unexpected medical expenses, it is always best to contact your insurance company prior to treatment to confirm coverage.
For more information, call a cardiac rehab professional at (406) 751-4504.