Tips for a healthy cookout
Did you know it is possible to have a healthy and delicious cookout? Think beyond traditional favorites of hot dogs and potato salad. Instead, build your BBQ around your favorite fruits and veggies. Here are some easy ideas:
Food myths and facts revealed
- Change out your meat! Grill marinated Portobello mushrooms, turkey burgers or chicken breasts. Add some flavor like lemon pepper, onions, garlic, cilantro or chili sauce to heat things up!
- A healthy take on new sides! Brush your favorite vegetables with olive oil and your choice or spices, and put them directly on the grill until tender. You can grill bell peppers, corn on the cob, tomatoes, mushrooms, onions and more.
- The best part — dessert! Grill fruit kabobs such as pineapples, peaches, pears or grapefruit until they are a delicious golden brown.
- More menu inspiration? Here are out more cookout recipes to try this summer!
To lose weight, you have to give up all your favorite foods.
- Fact: You don’t have to give up all of your favorite foods to lose weight. Enjoy your indulgences in smaller amount to stay on track, but keep in mind the total number of calories you take in as you must burn more calories than you take in to lose weight. (https://www.supertracker.usda.gov/ )
Grain products such as bread, pasta, and rice are fattening. You should avoid them when trying to lose weight.
- Fact: Grains by themselves are not fattening or unhealthy, but changing refined grains like white bread and white rice out for whole grains like whole-wheat bread and brown rice is recommended for a healthier diet. Whole grains may also help you feel fuller after a meal than refined grains.
Eating gluten-free will help you be healthier.
- Fact: Eliminating gluten from your diet may not help you be healthier unless you have a diagnosed allergy or Celiac disease. Gluten which is a protein found in wheat, barley or rye grains are essential to a well-balanced diet.
You should avoid all fats to be healthy or lose weight.
- Fact: You do not need to avoid all fats to be healthy or lose weight. Fats in foods provide your body with essential nutrients to perform at its best. Try eating foods with healthy fats such as avocados, olives and nuts.
Dairy products are fattening and unhealthy.
Need some recipe inspiration?
- Fact: Dairy products are an important food group to add to your daily diet. They contain protein to help your body build muscles, strengthen bones and aid in organ function. Try adding in milk, yogurt, cheeses and more to your daily diet.
Click on any of these links for inspiration for your next healthy meal
Be sure to consult your primary care provider for any questions related to major lifestyle changes or to create a baseline for your health to measure the impact of your new activities. Call (406) 751-4176 if you want help finding a KRH primary care provider.