Orientation is required for any students and instructors who will have students in the Kalispell Regional Medical Center OR. This is an important time to talk about expectations for both the student and the instructor. Please contact Lisa Saito for orientation scheduling and coordination.
Lisa Saito, RN, BN, CNOR
Educator for Surgical Services
We have some basic expectations:
- A list of which student is scheduled for which day should be provided to the OR in advance by the school or instructor.
- The instructor should contact the charge nurse at (406) 758-5151 the night before to obtain the student’s assignment. The OR charge nurse is the only person who will know the best combination of procedure, doctor and staff for the student’s learning experience.
- The instructor needs to walk the student nurse up to the OR front desk and connect them with the OR charge nurse for an 0600 start time. The charge nurse then will take the student to get dressed and connected with the correct staff member.
- A student who is placed in a different department on any given day cannot follow a patient to the OR. They must be placed in the OR in advance to participate.
- Students are not allowed in the heart room or in any other heart-related OR cases.
- Students are not allowed to be in an operating room with a relative or acquaintance due to a conflict of interest during the learning phase.