Orientation is required for any students and instructors who will have students in the Kalispell Regional Medical Center and Healthcenter OR. This is an important time to talk about expectations for both the student and the instructor. Please contact Joel Baller at KRMC and Susan LeBlanc at HC for orientation scheduling and coordination.
KRMC Surgical Services
Sue LeBlanc RN BSN CNOR
Operating Room Manager
We have some basic expectations:
- The instructor needs to walk the student to the OR front desk and connect them with the OR charge nurse. The charge nurse then will take the student to get dressed and connected with the correct staff member. If for some reason the instructor is unavailable to walk the student to the OR, the student should know to introduce themselves to the charge nurse to be assigned to an OR room.
- They must also have their Student Passport with their skills list as with all clinical rotations at KRHS.
- The charge will put the student's name, title, etc. in the correct slot on the board. The OR charge nurse is the only person who will know the best combination of procedure, doctor and staff for the student’s learning experience.
- The instructor should contact the charge nurse the night before to obtain the student’s assignment.
- Make sure the student introduces themselves to all of the staff in the OR room.
- Make sure the student introduces themselves to the surgeon, always, no matter their role.
- A list of which student is scheduled for which day should be provided to the OR in advance by the school or instructor.
- A student who is placed in a different department on any given day cannot follow a patient to the OR. They must be placed in the OR in advance to participate.
- Students are not allowed to be in an operating room with a relative or acquaintance due to a conflict of interest during the learning phase.
- HC OR Special note:
After the initial student orientation for HC, students can independently access HC staff locker room and pre-op/OR area. Students are observing all specialties. Instructors need to be present are contacting Susan LeBlanc when there’s a special request for inserting IV’s etc, so we can coordinate that opportunity.
- KRMC OR Special note:
Preferably, the instructors should contact the OR the night prior to the rotation to figure out the student’s assignment. The student needs to be prepared for the procedure they are observing. When the instructor contacts the OR the night before, they can let the OR know whether or not an instructor will be present with the student in the morning.