An observer is a person who is in the facility to shadow a specific person(s). The observer will have no direct physical contact with the patient, nor would he/she, in any way, direct or participate in the treatment of the patient. This person is in the organization to observe only. You must be at least 18 years of age to observe in our facilities.
An observation experience in any Kalispell Regional Healthcare department can be approved for up to 8 hours
Departments currently not accepting observers:
- Kalispell Regional Medical Center Operating Room and Surgical Services
- Kalispell Regional Medical Center Pediatric Unit and Pediatric Intensive Care Unit
Instructions and Requirements to Observe or Shadow
We appreciate your interest in observing at Kalispell Regional Healthcare. Please understand, we will try our best but may not be able to honor your request. Approvals are based on the number of requests received, census, staffing and space restrictions. Observer requests are processed once all requirements listed below are met. If your observation has not been completed within 6 months from the date of your application submission, you will need to start the process over.
You will not be able to save your information and return to your application so will need to review the policies and collect documentation of your immunizations and communicable disease records listed below prior to filling out the Observer Application. You will also need to provide a current, conservative, professional photo for your student ID badge when filling out the application. Please make sure the photo follows the HR 530d Dress Code Policy below. No hats, sunglasses, facial piercings or tattoos are allowed. You will not be able to complete your application without the documentation and a photo to upload.
Required immunization and communicable disease records:
- MMR (measles, mumps, rubella): Two official records of vaccinations OR positive results from titers showing immunity
- TB test (PPD-tuberculosis): Please download the TB Questionnaire Fill it out and upload it in the application for approval. If you have a current negative TB test within the last 11 months you can upload it in lieu of the TB Questionnaire.
- Varicella (chickenpox): Record of two vaccinations OR positive titer results showing immunity OR observers can provide documentation for proof of having the chickenpox from their Primary Care Provider
- Influenza vaccination: Flu vaccination is required to observe from October 31, 2018 through May 31, 2019.
- Tdap (tetanus w/pertussis): Vaccination record is required
Once your application has been received and all documentation approved, your request will be sent to the department. This can take some time depending on how busy the department is so if you have any questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact us. When we hear back from the department we will let you know if they accepted your request.
Review HR530d Dress Code Policy
Review EDU800 Policy
Review HIPAA and Helpful Information
All observers are required to park in the student parking area designated on the map below. Failure to do so can lead to termination of the educational experience here at Kalispell Regional Healthcare. All observers are permitted to ride the KRH campus employee shuttle at no charge.
Fill out the
Once you have been cleared and approved for your observation experience, make an appointment with the student coordinator to be issued an observer badge. Please make an appointment if you are coming in person, as we are not always available when assisting other students or attending meetings.
You can request an appointment by email or phone.