Effective Monday, March 16, 2020 to limit exposure, we have cancelled all observer experiences at all Kalispell Regional Healthcare System (KRHS) locations until further notice. This includes North Valley Hospital, Clinics, The Healthcenter and all other KRHS facilities. Information will continue to evolve and we update this information as it becomes available.
Thank you for your understanding.
An observer is a person who is in the facility to shadow a specific person(s). The observer will have no direct physical contact with the patient, nor would he/she, in any way, direct or participate in the treatment of the patient. This person is in the organization to observe only. You must be at least 16 years of age to observe in our facilities. If you are under the age of 18 you will need to have your legal parent or guardian fill out the Minor Observer Agreement
and upload it on your application.
- A typical observation experience in any Kalispell Regional Healthcare department is 4-8 hours.
- Most communications from the Student Department are done via email so please check the email you provide in your application for any updates, approvals or any documentation needed to complete your request.
- We are closed on weekends so if you plan to observe on a weekend, please make sure you have received approval and obtained your observer ID badge or made arrangements to do so, before you schedule your observation date and time.
Instructions and Requirements to Observe or Shadow
We appreciate your interest in observing at Kalispell Regional Healthcare. Please give us 30 days to process your request
. We will try our best but may not be able to honor your request. Approvals are based on the number of requests received, census, staffing and space restrictions. Observer requests are processed once all requirements listed below are met. If your observation has not been completed within 6 months from the date of your application submission, you will need to start the process over.
You will not be able to save your information and return to your application so will need to review the policies and collect documentation of your immunizations and communicable disease records listed below prior to filling out the Observer Application. You will also need to provide a current, conservative, professional photo for your student ID badge when filling out the application. Please make sure the photo follows the HR 530d Dress Code Policy below. No hats, sunglasses, facial piercings or tattoos are allowed. You will not be able to complete your application without the documentation and a photo to upload. When uploading documents or photos please do not use documents with HEIC extensions. We cannot open them.
Required immunization and communicable disease records:
- MMR (measles, mumps, rubella): Two official records of vaccinations OR positive results from titers showing immunity
- TB test (PPD-tuberculosis): Please download the TB Questionnaire Fill it out and upload it in the application for approval. If you have a current negative TB test within the last 11 months you can upload it in lieu of the TB Questionnaire.
- Varicella (chickenpox): Record of two vaccinations OR positive titer results showing immunity OR observers can provide documentation for proof of having the chickenpox from their Primary Care Provider
- Influenza vaccination: 2019-2020 Influenza vaccination is required
- Tdap (tetanus w/pertussis): Vaccination record is required
Once your application has been received and all documentation approved, your request will be sent to the department. This can take some time depending on how busy the department is so if you have any questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact us. When we hear back from the department we will let you know if they accepted your request. This communication will be via email so please check the email you provide in your application for any updates, approvals or any documentation needed to complete your request.
Review HR530d Dress Code Policy
Review EDU800 Policy
Watch this Hand Washing Video
Review HIPAA and Helpful Information
All observers are required to park in the student parking area designated on the map below. Failure to do so can lead to termination of the educational experience here at Kalispell Regional Healthcare. All observers are permitted to ride the KRH campus employee shuttle at no charge within it's normal operational hours.
Student and Observer Parking
The observer application is not available at this time due to COVID-19.
Once you have been cleared and approved for your observation experience, make an appointment with the student coordinator to be issued an observer badge. Please make an appointment if you are coming in person, as we are not always available when assisting other students or attending meetings.
You can request an appointment by email or phone.