Wrinkles result from a combination of many factors. It's not just about cellular changes, collagen depletion or damage caused by free radicals. When you frown or concentrate, the muscles between your brows contract, causing your skin to furrow and fold. And when you squint, the muscles around your eyes contract and cause crow's feet.
BOTOX Cosmetic works beneath the skin's surface and targets the underlying muscle activity that causes frown lines and crow's feet lines to form over time.
Your doctor will inject BOTOX Cosmetic into the muscles that cause frown lines and crow's feet, temporarily reducing the activity of those muscles. The result is a reduction in the appearance of those lines.
BOTOX Cosmetic (onabotulinumtoxinA) is a prescription medicine that is injected into muscles and used to temporarily improve the look of both moderate to severe crow's feet lines and frown lines between the eyebrows in adults.
How does it work?
BOTOX Cosmetic blocks the release of a substance called acetylcholine. This reduces muscle activity that causes moderate to severe wrinkles to form.
Will BOTOX Cosmetic make me look fake?
BOTOX Cosmetic is a technique-sensitive treatment. You should not lose the ability to show expression when you are treated by someone who is licensed, trained and a medical expert in facial anatomy. It is important to talk to your provider about the results you want from treatment as well as any precautions and risks associated with the procedure.
When will I see results?
You may begin to notice results within 24 to 48 hours, with the maximum effect visible at 30 days. Results may vary.
Does it hurt?
Some patients report that being injected with BOTOX Cosmetic feels like a pinch. Your provider may use ice to numb the treatment area. If you are concerned about discomfort, your provider may apply a topical numbing cream before administering your treatment.
JUVÉDERM XC and JUVÉDERM VOLUMA XC
JUVÉDERM XC injectable gel is injected in the areas of facial tissue where moderate to severe facial wrinkles and folds occur to temporarily add volume to skin, which may give appearance of a smoother surface. JUVÉDERM VOLUMA XC injectible gel is for deep injection in the cheek area to correct age-related volume loss in adults over the age of 21.
Are there any reasons why I should not receive JUVÉDERM XC or JUVÉDERM VOLUMA XC?
Do not use these products if you have a history of multiple severe allergies or severe allergic reactions (anaphylaxis), or if you are allergic to the proteins (gram-positive bacteria) used to make the hyaluronic acid in these products. Do not use JUVÉDERM XC or JUVÉDERM VOLUMA XC if you are allergic to lidocaine.
What precautions should my doctor advise me about?
How should I prepare?
- The safety of JUVÉDERM XC and JUVÉDERM VOLUMA XC injectible gels for use during pregnancy or in women who are breastfeeding has not been studied.
- The safety of JUVÉDERM XC for use in patients under 18 years and JUVÉDERM VOLUMA XC for patients under 35 years or over 65 years has not been studied.
- The safety and effectiveness of JUVÉDERM XC for treatment of areas other than facial wrinkles and folds (such as lips) have not been established in clinical studies.
- The safety and effectiveness of JUVÉDERM VOLUMA XC for treatment in areas other than the cheek area have not been established in clinical studies.
- The safety of JUVÉDERM XC and JUVÉDERM VOLUMA XC in patients with a history of excessive scarring (e.g., hypertrophic scarring and keloid formations) and pigmentation disorders has not been studied, and use may result in additional scars or changes in pigmentation.
- The safety of JUVÉDERM VOLUMA XC in patients with very thin skin in the cheek area and the safety of repeat treatments in patients has not been studied.
- There is a possible risk of inflammation at the treatment site if laser procedures and chemical peeling are performed after treatment.
- Patients who experience skin injury near the site of injection with these products may be at a higher risk for side effects.
What are possible side effects?
- Tell your health care professional if you are on therapy used to decrease the body's immune response (immunosuppressive therapy). Use of these products may result in an increased risk of infection.
- Tell your health care professional if you are using medications that can prolong bleeding, such as asprin, ibuprofen or other blood thinners, as this may result in increased bruising or bleeding at the injection site.
- Minimize strenuous exercise and exposure to extensive sun or heat within the first 24 hours following treatment with JUVÉDERM VOLUMA XC.
For JUVÉDERM XC, most side effects are mild or moderate in nature, and last seven days or less. The most common side effects include temporary injection-site reactions such as redness, pain/tenderness, firmness, swelling, lumps/bumps, bruising, itching and discoloration.
For JUVÉDERM VOLUMA XC, side effects are moderate (uncomfortable), and generally last two to four weeks. The most common side effects include temporary reactions at the treatment site such as tenderness, swelling, firmness, lumps/bumps, bruising, pain, redness, discoloration and itching.
As with all skin-injection procedures, there is a risk of infection.